Tuesday, October 19, 2010

For the little chefs in my life

Well, once upon a time I found a great deal on a play kitchen at a garage sale. It had served us well, but was simply too small. All of the various cooking utensils, baking supplies, dishes and food were spilling out of every shelf and were always all over the floor. So, inspired by the oh-so-many kitchens I have seen online(like this, this and this), I decided to take on this next project with my mom, a wood-working extraordinaire.

I started out with two Ikea Rast bedside tables, which were given to us a few years back. These have a lip along the short sides. So, we turned one shelf upside down and used that lip as the legs of the kitchen. Then we cut off the actual legs of the shelves and the lip of the other shelf, placed the shelves on top of each and screwed them together. For the backsplash and the back of the side shelves we just cut a big piece of MDF in an "L", which became the backbone of the whole kitchen.


Decent storage is really what I was going for, and this kitchen has it! I love how much we can pack into those shelves. The last kitchen was just exploding with playthings, so I needed to be sure that I created something that could truly hold of those kitchen necessities.


 The faucet is an upside down wooden "J" from Hobby Lobby. The burners were simply hand-painted on. I intend to put on a handle for the faucet and two knobs for the burners. I would just rather find cheapo things at garage sales, rather than buy two knobs at 3 bucks a piece...we'll see...I'm likely to give in by the end...

 And a picture of beloved mountains for good measure...





Sharing the love at some of the following:
Monday:
Keeping it Simple-- Motivate Me Mondays
Skip to my Lou-- Made by You Mondays
Sew Can Do-- Craftastic Monday 
C.R.A.F.T-- Making Monday Marvelous
Tuesday:
Today's Creative Blog-- Get Your Craft On!
Creative Itch-- Sew Cute Tuesday
Tip Junkie-- Tip Me Tuesday
Wednesday:
Sew Much Ado-- We Did It Wednesday!
Blue Cricket Designs-- Show and Tell
Friday: 
Simply Designing
Kojo Friday Fun Finds 
Fingerprints on the Fridge-- Feature Yourself Friday 
Tatertots and Jello-- Weekend Wrap-up
Weekend:
The Girl Creative-- Just Something I Whipped Up
Under the Table and Dreaming-- Sunday Showcase

16 comments:

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Forget about the kids . . . I want this kitchen for myself! ;) So cool!

Chelsie said...

This is amazing!!! I sincerely want one and I am thinking a more in depth tutorial is called for! (If you have time, of course;) You are just too darn wonderful, girl.

Katielin317 said...

Hey Chelsie, I may be able to work up some dimensions. I think putting it together is pretty straightforward, but there was a lot of trial and error in getting the door dimensions right, and also , I think it would be nice to have the rounded shelf measurements. I think I'll put Kent on that project. Maybe he can draw up some plans...He actually LIKES doing that stuff:)

linda said...

This turned out so cute! Loving the contrasting shelf--nice job!

Megan said...

Oh Katie, You must move here. Tell Kent. Please. I saw this in the begining steps and it is just as incredible as I imagined. I love the picture window. Amazing. Love the color too. Love the J. I just love it. Love LOVE LOve it. I love that little toaster too. So dang cute. So move here already so we can have a playdate. Please. ~M

BeingBrook said...

So cute! Love the hand painted burners.

Unknown said...

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
Burke needs one...

April said...

Good job! Such a cute idea.

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

This is darling! How much fun are the kids going to have with that!

restlessrisa said...

Darling and so creative! I love it!!!

I am your newest follower :)

<3

Risa

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

This is SUPER cute! Love the little swirly burners : ) Great job!

Wendy said...

How fabulous is this! Great job!

TYRaines said...

I'm visiting from Tater Tots & Jello. I just love your little kitchen set. My daughter is going to swoon when she sees it... she's wanted one since she was little and she's 12 now!

Skooks said...

This is so completely adorable! You did a great job. The upside down J cracks me up. Way to think outside the box. :-D

Paulita said...

you did a wonderful job. Will be sharing on my site Punkymoms

Unknown said...

Amazingly awesome kitchen, you creative momma, you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...