Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Perfect Heating Pad Tutorial

Remember that whole me being pregnant thing??? Right. Well, sadly, for me that means a whole lot of sciatic pain and complimentary pain in my sacrum. It's just part of the deal for me I guess. However, the pain is lightened with my perfect heating pad. 


Why is it perfect?? Because it is just the right size, with just the right amount of rice that is equally distributed and  it's completely fabulous and cozy. Oh, and the added bonus?? It only took two hours to make two of them.


This tutorial will give you instructions for making both an adult-sized heating pad and a child-sized one.


So let's get started!!


Here's what you'll need:


For a Large-
8.5" x 10.25" flannel (short end on fold so entire piece is 8.5 x 20.5)
about 3lbs white rice


For a small-
6.5" x 14.25" flannel (short end on so entire piece is 6.5 x 28.5)
about 2 lbs white rice


For both:
matching thread
1/4 - 1/2 cup measuring cup
(you'll need a little less than a 1/2 yard for both heating pads...I just used up some flannel scraps I had)



First, fold fabric right sides together. Sew one long side and the short side together, leaving a long side open.
**TIP--on the open long side, sew in 1.2 inch from the short sides, this will give you a nice corner when you turn it.

Once you've sewn all the edges, clip the corners (like above) and turn your bag right side out and push out the corners.
Now it's time to mark where your pockets will be.

Large: mark 4 lines every 4"
Small: mark 3 lines every 3.5"

Sew these lines, starting at the closed edge and stopping 1/2" from the open side.
Now fold in and press the opening closed.

Here's the fun...and messy (I currently have a lot of rice surrounding my sewing desk...) part. Time to fill your pockets with rice. Do one pocket at a time!! Fill it, then sew it closed. And do the next pocket.

Large: fill each pocket with 1.5 cups rice
Small: fill each pocket with 1 cup of rice.

Snip all of your threads and you're done!

Now all you have to do is find a recipient, or go throw it in the microwave for 2.5-3 minutes and enjoy the warmth all to yourself.  I find myself warming this sucker up when my husband has to work nights and there's no one in my bed to keep my feet warm. Works like a charm.


Sharing the love at some of the following:
Monday:
Keeping it Simple-- Motivate Me Mondays
Skip to my Lou-- Made by You Mondays
Sew Can Do-- Craftastic Monday 
C.R.A.F.T-- Making Monday Marvelous
Tuesday:
Today's Creative Blog-- Get Your Craft On!
Creative Itch-- Sew Cute Tuesday
Tip Junkie-- Tip Me Tuesday
Wednesday:
Sew Much Ado-- We Did It Wednesday!
Blue Cricket Designs-- Show and Tell
Friday: 
Simply Designing
Kojo Friday Fun Finds 
Fingerprints on the Fridge-- Feature Yourself Friday 
Tatertots and Jello-- Weekend Wrap-up
Weekend:
The Girl Creative-- Just Something I Whipped Up
Under the Table and Dreaming-- Sunday Showcase

7 comments:

Rose said...

I'm 37 weeks and miserable. I am SO making this tomorrow! Oneprettything.com sent me your way.

Chelsie said...

So exactly how often ARE you featured on oneprettything my dear??

Rose said...

alright, i couldn't wait and went for it tonight. i'm a novice seamstress, so it took me way too long. and my darn bobbin kept jamming. and i too have rice all over the floor.

BUT...i'm done and i LOVE it. i will now be able to have one on my back and one too soothe my round ligament pains tonight!

Megan said...

Katie, My dear friend,

Are we living some sort of paralell lives? I made 12 of these for teachers for Christmas. They are lovely. I have two warming in my microwave right now to keep my toes warm when I go to bed (alone because my husband is gone). Really. We should be friends forever. ~ Megan

Heidi said...

These are wonderful! Just a note to those who might feel adventuresome... if you fill them with wheat instead of rice, they seem to stay hotter longer, and if you really want one that will stay hot a long time, get hard seed corn from your local feed store - if you can find one. It smells like popcorn and keeps warm all night. I'm a country hick-girl, so that's what we had on hand one year ;)

Fran said...

Hi Katie! Just wanted to let you know I linked this post to my blog! Great guidelines and I'm using it for my little one who suffers a bit of colics! Fran

http://everyoneelsebutme.blogspot.com/2011/01/seeds-heating-pad-and-slings.html

MJ @ MD School Mrs said...

I've been using this tutorial for a couple of months now (first for myself, then for gifts!). I shared it on my blog (http://mdschoolmrs.blogspot.com/2011/03/rice-heating-pad-foot-warmer.html) and linked back to here! Thanks for the great tutorial!

MJ at MD School Mrs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...