Monday, January 3, 2011

A Happy Little Space {Fabric Playhouse}

 Since we moved into this house well over a year ago, my kids have had a "house" built out of two boxes that I taped together as soon as they were empty. I did this so they would be occupied while I worked feverishly to unpack the rest of the house...and find the boxes that housed their toys...

Two weeks before Christmas, I finally threw it away. It was heartbreaking...but really, it was barely standing anymore and I knew that something far better was in their future.

I started this little house back in October. It was a lot of work (especially since it is fully lined with finished seams) but it is already well-loved on.

The mailbox has a little flap to cover the opening and then a pocket on the inside to store the mail. The flowers in the pot are of course removable.


 This panel is for great puppet shows! I sewed in three big pockets to store the puppets in use and they can untie the curtain for the show and hide behind it. I'm thinking, however, that I may need to install a pocket for a dowel right below the window so it doesn't sag at all...and to discourage my son from climbing in and out of it...


 My kids both love to help me hang the laundry, so I knew they would enjoy this panel. I made a few items of clothing, embellishing them with some of the decorative stitches on my machine, and placed them in a sweet little woven basket.

There is also a zipper pocket sewn on the bottom corner of the panel to keep the clothespins.



Finally, this last panel was highly inspired by Homemade by Jill's version. I used her templates for the flowers, apples, carrots and corn, although, instead of weaving the corn, I merely stitched the kernels. And the inside of this panel has two clear vinyl pockets (size 8.5 x 11") for endless decorating. Emmie has already inserted a special picture she made of Noah's Ark.

Materials used::
I chose to use all wool felt, purchased by-the-yard from Wool Felt Central. The reason for this is because wool felt does not stretch and tear the same way acrylic felt does. It just seems to have a longer lifespan and holds up to child's play a lot better. Also, it is far softer, and the colors are much richer.

I used muslin for the base of the playhouse, as opposed to felt, as many playhouses are made. Again, the reason I did this is because I intend for this playhouse to last a long time, and I just didn't feel like felt would do the trick. However, this greatly increased the time commitment to the project, as I had to finish all the edges of the muslin, unlike felt.

Please let me know if you have any question about it and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks!


I've entered this little project over at Sew Dang Cute's "Crafting with the Stars"...wish me luck!





Sharing the love at some of the following:
Monday:
Keeping it Simple-- Motivate Me Mondays
Skip to my Lou-- Made by You Mondays
Sew Can Do-- Craftastic Monday 
C.R.A.F.T-- Making Monday Marvelous
Tuesday:
Today's Creative Blog-- Get Your Craft On!
Creative Itch-- Sew Cute Tuesday
Tip Junkie-- Tip Me Tuesday
Wednesday:
Sew Much Ado-- We Did It Wednesday!
Blue Cricket Designs-- Show and Tell
Friday: 
Simply Designing
Kojo Friday Fun Finds 
Fingerprints on the Fridge-- Feature Yourself Friday 
Tatertots and Jello-- Weekend Wrap-up
Weekend:
The Girl Creative-- Just Something I Whipped Up
Under the Table and Dreaming-- Sunday Showcase

10 comments:

linda said...

WOW Katie--just WOW! What a project-and so adorable. I just know the kids love it.

Jen said...

I know a couple of friends who would love this! I need to make a couple of these, mind if I copy it?!

Katielin317 said...

copy away!!

Jayna Rae said...

AMAZING and CUTE!!!
I love several things about:
It can fold up if need be and hide from guests
It doubles as a puppet theatre (This would be my hubby's favorite part)
Finally, you made it with love.

Emily @ LaForce Be With You said...

What a labor of love! FABULOUS! I love all the special details!

www.laforcebewithyou.com

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness - this is fantastic! I especially love all the little details you put into it, like the clothesline and the vegetable garden!

Sew Like My Mom said...

This is so stinking adorable!! You did a fantastic job! I'm sure they absolutely love it--I know I would! :)

Lee Ann said...

This is fabulous! I remember our days of putting a sheet over some chairs and playing in our "house!" Thank you for posting about your playhouse!

Anonymous said...

Incredible! I found this link while clicking around on the flikr pool for the Jill version. I love how you incorporated the puppet theater!

Amy Siegert said...

Excellent work Katie!! It's fantastic. How much muslin did you start with for the base?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...