Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween Costumes

Well, in case you're still looking for some last minute ideas, I thought I would share some of our costumes of Halloweens past. Some of these you could easily whip up in an evening and some of them (like the zebra) take a little more time and effort.

The skirt for this angel was a simple elastic waist. Then I took a long-sleeved onesie and just sewed on some gold ricrac around the neck. And for the wings, they are attached with Velcro, but I also sewed on some elastic armholes so they could be worn over her jacket later in the evening, as you can see in the next picture. 

Check out that little piglet!! You could whip that one up the morning of Halloween! :)

This zebra was made using a typical Simplicity jumpsuit costume pattern for any animal (the example on the pattern was a lion and a bunny, I believe) so I just modified it for a zebra. This is by far one of my favorite costumes of all time. My favorite part is the grosgrain ribbon for the mane...and that cute tail. My will be wearing it this year.


Another costume that you could easily make in an hour. The skunk. I took a pre-fabbed black hoodie, sweats and an old black sock of my husbands, purchased a small package of fur from Joann's (or maybe Hobby Lobby?) and just sewed it on down. I sewed the sock to the inside of the back of the pants. Unfortunately for me, though, I didn't have a sewing machine, as we had JUST moved from Germany, so all of our stuff was still somewhere on the ocean, slowly making its way to us. So yes, I hand-sewed this whole thing. DO NOT hand-sew this much fur. Painful...and tedious. Consider yourself appropriately warned.


So there you have it! I can't wait to see what everyone's kiddos are wearing this year!

2 comments:

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Too cute! The skunk is my favorite, love that.

Anonymous said...

Those costumes are all so adorable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...