Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sweet and Soft Boy Blanket

A couple of weeks ago I threw a baby shower (details on that soon!) for a friend who is having her first boy after three little girls (!), but instead of doing any traditional games we decided to tie a blanket for her. This blanket is cozy with flannel, cotton batting and super soft minky. We tied it with some crochet thread and then I figured out how to sew that giant silky binding onto it.

Here are some of the guests, hard at work. We got the whole thing tied and mostly cut before the night was through, leaving only a quick binding project for m to finish it off. It was an excellent activity, in place of any cheesy games (sorry to anyone who likes those games! But having my belly measured in toilet paper wasn't one of my favorite memories from my first shower...).


ANyway, I did follow a tutorial on how to do the binding. It was totally different than doing traditional narrow, cotton binding. I also reinforced the mitered corners a bit because I have seen how her girls have LOVED their baby blankets, so I wanted to try and make this to where it could stand the test of time and love.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Great post. Boys need to have soft blankets too. My parents made Eli a blanket similar to this one but used Nascar as the print. Glad you made it back safe.

Tammy said...

Very cute. I love the material! You are so crafty, I need to have lessons!

Megan said...

Love this instead of the games... You know what I remember about your first shower. The toilet paper game and I was twice as big as you and not as pregnant.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [03 Feb 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Memoirs of Me & Mine said...

Great idea. That's a beautiful blanket!
www.rebeccabany.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...