Friday, January 21, 2011

Felt Crown Tutorial {with template}


Today I am going to share with you my number one go-to gift for little girls.


The Felt Crown

It is so easy and is so quick to whip up several at a time.

Here's what you'll need:

2-  9.5"x 4" pieces of felt
12 in elastic (this fits my 4 year old's head perfectly, so adjust accordingly)
optional:
10 in ribbon
felt scraps
buttons

First, using the template below, cut out two crown pieces and whichever other pieces you wish to use.
Felt Crown Template

Then take your decorative pieces and lay them on top until you get it the way you want it.

Now, pin the ribbon down and sew it. Then sew each of the felt pieces down. You may want to use steam-a-seam for this if you consider yourself a novice sewer, that way they won't move around or bunch up on you.

Cut the ends of the ribbon to match the edge of the crown.

(You can easily make this a reversible crown by decorating the other crown piece as well!)

Now put the two crown pieces wrong sides together, sewing the elastic into one end first. I inserted the elastic about 3/4". Sew along the bottom of the crown and then when you reach the other end, insert the other of the elastic about 3/4", being sure that it is not twisted and sew it in. **Note: You will want to sew over the elastic 2 or 3 times to be sure it is secure.

Then finish sewing around top of the crown. In some places your pieces may have slipped a bit and aren't perfect. Have no fear!! That's why we love felt, just trim it up to where everything looks just right from the front. Although, if the front and the back are the same color, this really won't be much of a problem.

 I know....poor little guy. I guess I need to make him one of his own.


Please let me know if you have any questions at all!! Have fun!

Sharing this tutorial over at * a little lovely

Sharing the love at some of the following:
Monday:
Making the World Cuter Mondays
Keeping it Simple-- Motivate Me Mondays
Skip to my Lou-- Made by You Mondays
Sew Can Do-- Craftastic Monday 
C.R.A.F.T-- Making Monday Marvelous
Tuesday:
Sugar Bee-- Take a Look Tuesday
Today's Creative Blog-- Get Your Craft On!
Creative Itch-- Sew Cute Tuesday
Tip Junkie-- Tip Me Tuesday
Wednesday:
Sew Much Ado-- We Did It Wednesday!
Blue Cricket Designs-- Show and Tell
Friday: 
Simply Designing
Kojo Friday Fun Finds 
Fingerprints on the Fridge-- Feature Yourself Friday 
Tatertots and Jello-- Weekend Wrap-up
Weekend:
The Girl Creative-- Just Something I Whipped Up
Under the Table and Dreaming-- Sunday Showcase 

 

14 comments:

Amy Siegert said...

These are ADORABLE, Katie! How smart are you...those cheap plastic dress-up tiaras at the store break and drive me crazy!! I am so stealing this, if you don't mind.

Susie B said...

I have so many ideas running around in my head right now with this! WAY TO GO! I am linking this to my blog http://whereitellitlikeitis.blogspot.com/2011/01/paint-stick-snowman.html

Liz said...

These are so cute! I bet little girls love getting it for a gift! I'd love for you to link it up at my party today: http://fastdaze.blogspot.com/2011/01/linky-fridaze-3.html

Unknown said...

CUTE

A @Let's take a coffee break said...

Those felt crowns are sooo cute!

-Angelica

Tiff Keetch said...

Perfect! I've been wanting to make a reusable birthday crown for a while now. Your template is just the thing I needed to get it made! Thank you.

B said...

Hi Katie! I saw you over at Tatertots & Jello. Wanted to pop in and say hello, I'm a new follower as well. I love these crowns! Goshdangit I need kids of my own so I can make these! hehe.

~ www.billiemonster.com ~

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

Oh gosh are these ever cute. Great tutorial, too! I love them : )
craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

These are sooo stinkin cute! I am your newest follower and I love your blog name.. hope you stop by and visit me @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com and share with my Pink Hippo Party every Monday

maleahbliss said...

Oh I LOVE these! Makes me wish that I had a little girl! :)
I'd love for you to link up to my new linky party, Tute {Yourself} Tuesday!
LittleEme.blogspot.com
The linky will be open until Wednesday evening. :)

agdmom said...

oh,my! I just had to make one, but I have three boys so I made the first one for my friends little girl and tried it on my little boys for size, they really wanted one so I made one for each of my princes. I used diamond shapes and small circle to look like gems. Even my 10 year old will wear it around (the house). Thanks!

Kaylyn said...

The crowns are so cut. I downloaded the template to try my hand at a couple. Thanks for the instructions.

Rachel said...

Thank you so much for your template - you have made such cute crowns. I made one today as a gift for a little girl turning 5. The only difference I made was that I added a fabric casing around the elastic. It turned out great! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Hi! We featured your post in a round up of similar ideas for birthday crowns that we really like! Thank you for the inspiration!

http://www.feltwithlovedesigns.com/2013/07/28/links-with-love-birthday-crowns/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...